“Although the world is full of suffering, It is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
Please Join Hearts and Homes for Refugees and NuDay Syria
In Syria, a harsh winter is about to descend on millions of families who have been trapped in refugee camps, with few resources and dwindling hope. In many cases, necessities are not available near the camps, at any price. As part of our humnitarian commitment, Hearts and Homes for Refugees, in partnership with NuDay Syria is planning a community-wide effort this fall, to collect, sort, pack and deliver material aid to displaced Syrians who have been victims of six years of brutal conflict.
Among its broad scope of work on behalf of refugees, NuDay Syria has a proven track record identifying meaningful and current needs and actually getting and distributing this aid to displaced Syrians and medical facilities. The NuDay Syria containers have been arriving in Idlib where there is desperate need for food and immediate relief. The donations must be packed and ready to leave Pelham by November 5th to a waiting container in New Hampshire.
Bill Taubner, Pelham resident and Executive Vice President of Ball Chain Manufacturing, is very enthusiastic about this project and has generously offered to help with space and shipping. We are hopeful that our community will come together to share our many blessings in this non-partisan, humanitarian outreach effort. We look forward to participation from the amazing and active youth community, the Pelham Civics, Junior League of Pelham, Faith Communities, and other civic, social and business leaders and organizations in and around Pelham.
PELHAM TO SYRIA WINTER DONATION DRIVE
On November 5th Hearts & Homes For Refugees will send donations from Pelham to a NuDay Syria shipping container in New Hampshire. On November 12, that container, packed with urgently-needed donations will head to Syria via Turkey. Parents and children there are facing winter with the same needs as our families, and no available supplies. Please give, and volunteer to help our community sort, pack and load donations this October.
TO VOLUNTEER: Send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A volunteer coordinator will be in touch with specific volunteer opportunities/dates/times.
- Bring new or gently-used items to our drop-off location on designated dates.
- Order items on Amazon.com Wish List http://a.co/flogd0o.
DROP OFF LOCATION: St. Catharine’s Rectory Basement, 25 Second Ave., Pelham, NY
DROP OFF DATES/TIMES:
- Saturday, October 21st, 10:00 - 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 25th, 4:00 - 8:00 pm
- Saturday, October 28, 10:00 - 4:00 pm
DONATIONS - While we appreciate generous intentions, due to limited space, ONLY the following items can be accepted. Items marked by asterisks* must be NEW/unopened:
- WINTER WEAR: (adults and children) - coats, jackets, boots, hats, gloves
- MEDICAL EQUIPMENT/MEDICINES: crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, pain relievers*, bandages*, antiseptics*
- PERSONAL CARE: sanitary pads*, bar soaps*, socks*, underwear*, toothbrushes*, toothpaste*
- BEDDING: sleeping bags, blankets
- INFANT/CHILD: diapers*, wipes*, infant milk/formula*, strollers, baby carriers, foldable play pens
- FOOD: Halal cans of meat*, canned beans*, rice*, protein bars*, dried fruit*
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES: backpacks, notebooks, coloring books, pencils, pens, crayons, colored pencils, glue sticks, erasers, pencil sharpeners
- RECREATIONAL: soccer balls, footballs, activity balls, pumps with needles
For more information contact:
DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE. P.O. Box 8558, Pelham, NY 10803
Tax deductible checks payable to Hearts and Homes for Refugees will also be accepted. Donations indicated as "Pelham to Syria Winter Donation Drive" will be used to support the Syrian Winter Donation Drive and to help defray NuDay Syria's container cost. To donate, go to the "Donate" page of this website.
To further support the work of and donate directly to NuDay Syria please go to NuDay Syria.
Hearts and Homes for Refugees is an apolitical initiative that welcomes concerned individuals from every religious, faith-based and civic background and does not represent any specific faith or community group except its own.
OCTOBER-NOVEMBER 2017 Pelham To Syria Winter Donations Drive